Dealing with A Plastic Surgery Complication
As with any type of surgery there are a variety of risks and complications that can occur. Patients should discuss pre, post and in-surgery care, risks and potential complications and create a plan to minimize them. Using an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon (not a doctor that took a plastic surgery course) should be at the top of a patients list when looking to avoid complications from surgery.
Dr. Stevens outlines resources and things each patient should know when dealing with a complication from a plastic surgery procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon – Be honest and open about the complication and your expectations on how the surgeon can assist in fixing it. Don’t automatically assume blame. Make sure you understand the cause of the complication and take notes to reference your understanding.
- Relax – Take time to de-stress and relieve anxiety. Clear your mind and allow yourself to start thinking about potential solutions.
- Think about revision surgery – Develop a plan of action for consulting with your surgeon about a second procedure to correct the complication. Identify the costs, risks and detail an ultimate plan of action.
- Consult a new surgeon – If you are unhappy with your results and choose not to elect a repeat operation with the original surgeon, seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon that has experience with revisionary plastic surgery.
- Contact the medical board – Notify your state medical board if you feel that your surgeon was in the wrong or caused you harm.
- Litigation – A law suit should be the last resort when there is no resolution possible between you and your surgeon. However, if a complication occurred as a result of unforeseeable circumstances, it is better to consult with a new surgeon.
Protect yourself and be prepared before surgery to know how to handle any potential complications. For further information and resources on the risks and results of cosmetic surgical procedures, schedule a consultation with Dr. Stevens.
Dr. Leslie H. Stevens is a board certified plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills and co-director of the renowned Lasky Clinic, known for its extensive celebrity clientele. Dr. Stevens specializes in facelifts, eye lifts, breast augmentation, tummy tucks, labiaplasty, liposuction and body contouring. His practice is located in the Los Angeles area at the Lasky Clinic in Beverly Hills.